Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

I Don't SEE the Point: China Dolls


China Dolls
by Lisa See

This novel was definitely a miss for me--I guess nothing will live up to Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.  The premise of the novel was promising (hence why I requested it for LibraryThing's Early Reviewers) and I love the historical time period...BUT...these girls seem to despise each other.

The early chapters are filled with rude remarks to each other (and snarky thoughts about each other); and then, to help the plot-line along, since they have to be friends, the girls just think/say, "Well, we have to stick together anyway, so it is what it is" <--paraphrase, obviously.  Because these girls are so derogatory about each other, it made me unsympathetic to their plights and I did not care what happened to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment