Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

“Hate looks like everybody else until it smiles” -- Shatter Me


Shatter Me
by Tahereh Mafi

I just could not stand this overwrought, teenage-angsty, trying-to-hard style of writing.  This is an English 101 fail on Mafi's behalf, as it is utterly distracting from the premise (which is in itself unbelievable...no one can touch Juliette, blah blah blah, her parents despise her, blah blah).  If you can stomach pages of this drivel:

"His eyes pin me in place.  His urgency ignites my bones.  Rivulets of water snake their way down the polished planes of his face and his fingers press me up against the wall.
His lips his lips his lips his lips his lips
My eyes are fighting not to flutter
My legs have won the right to tremble
My skin is scorched everywhere he's not touching me..." then you might like this series.

Otherwise...blech.  It's like reading a badly-written 13-year-old's diary.  Pass, unless you are a teenager full of angst!

It's not all bad -- the warped-eye cover art is aesthetically quite appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment